FKI participates in and contributes to the collective construction of the following initiatives:
CommonsCloud an online collaborative platform, the alternative to proprietary software platforms, respectful with privacy and doesn't commercialise data. Developed as a collective initiative, with a group of organisations in Barcelona, among them FemProcomuns (of which FKI is a founding member) opened a campaign at the Goteo crowdfunding platform to put the platform into action. You can donate here!
La Comunificadora is an innovative Commons Startup Support Programme in Barcelona. Fifteen projects took part in the first edition (November 2016 - January 2017) and a second edition is currently being conducted (October 2017 - January 2018) exploring the viability of a commons collaborative economy, looking at its social impact and seeking to establish fair relationships among agents.
Fem Procomuns is an idea in the process of becoming reality, co-manufacturing a cooperative organisation for commoners to overcome legal, economic and management hurdles to develop their projects. At the moment we are setting it up in Barcelona together with a bunch of firends and colleagues. If you'd like to be part of it too, please contact us, we are also at @femprocomuns
The Things Network (TTNCat) is a community network for the Internet of Things. The idea is to lay the foundations for a smart city built bottom-up and managed by citizens (commons). TTNCat aims to foster technological independence and social autonomy by building smart cities connecting sensors and actuators to the network.
BarCola is the node concerned with Collaborative Economy and Commons Based Peer Production in Barcelona. Barcelona is host to the Commons Collaborative Economies event (Procomuns), focused on commons-oriented peer production and the collaborative economy. FKI organised several seesions and continues to actively participate in this initative.
Digital do it yourself (DiDIY) is a new socio-technological phenomenon in which the widespread availability of digital devices supporting the convergence of physical and informational components and the growing accessibility of knowledge and data through open online communities presage scenarios in which the distinction between users and producers of physical artifacts is fuzzy and new opportunities and threats emerge.
Free Technology Academy (FTA) was initially developed as an online master level programme with course modules about Free Technologies. Today, FTA still offers specific, on-demand online courses on the same topics. All course materials developed and used by the FTA are freely licensed resources and can be downloaded free of charge, for self study or reuse.
OpenSE (Open educational framework for Computer Science and Software Engineering) was a project that ran from 2009 till 2012 and was cofunded by the EC's Lifelong Learning Project. The FKI participated in all workpackages and was responsible for the OpenSE Content Framework and policies for free licensing and open standards.
SELF was an international project that developed a blueprint and prototype of a platform for the collaborative sharing and construction of open educational resources and training materials about Free Software and Open Standards.
Free Culture Forum The event gathered around 200 representatives from grass roots and civil society organisations around the world to develop policy recommendations for the digital society. Organised by Simona Levi / eXgae, the FKI was a co-organiser of the event.
FKFT Conference, the Free Knowledge, Free Technology Education for a free information society SELF International Conference 2008 was the first international event that focused on the production and sharing of free educational and training materials about Free Software.
Talks and courses promoting change in key areas:
- TardorTic (Consorci d'Educació de Barcelona): post at FKI web Other economies, 24 November 2016
- OSCE Days, Barcelona, 27 May 2016
- Smart City masterclass at Engineers Association Camins.cat, Barcelona, 5 May 2016.
- Fabsost, Barcelona, 18 March 2016.
- Open Source Circular Economy, Procomuns, Barcelona 13 March 2016
- Legal and Policy questions related to Digital DIY (slides), Procomuns, Barcelona 12 March 2016
- Industrial Commons and Open Design (slides), Procomuns , Barcelona 11 March 2016
- Internet of Things, focused on The Things Network and LoRaWAN (slides)- Procomuns, Barcelona 11 March 2016
- Social Innovation Course by Barcelona’gov: one day organised by FKI on digital social innovation
- fOSSa Nantes, 2015, talks on Digital DIY, Nantes, 23-24-25 September 2015
- The Economy of the Commons Conference, Berlin, 22 May 2013
- International Commons Conference 2010 in Berlin, 1-2 November 2010
- Drumbeat by Mozilla, co-organising partner, Barcelona 3-5 November 2010
- fOSSa talk in the FTA, Grenoble 8-10 November 2010